Buying a mobile phone is easier said than done. You don’t merely grab the first deal that you find in store or online even. Most likely you have checked which phones come with the features that you are looking for. From camera specs, RAM, to internal storage, you have probably armed yourself with these details already. But where is the best place to buy mobile phones UK?
Brand vs Retailer
You are probably wondering where to get the best buys for mobile phones these days. This depends mostly on whether you prefer brand new or if you are fine with refurbished ones. Most people prefer to buy directly from the manufacturer, but if you want to save money, searching for a retailer may work just fine.
There is an ongoing debate on which of these two is the best place to grab your new smartphone. Let’s take a closer look.
- Brand. Buying from a brand or from the manufacturer gives you the assurance that the mobile device is made from high quality materials. Not only will you get their guarantee that the mobile device is working properly, but it will also come with all its accessories and warranty. However, the price will be higher since you are purchasing directly from the source, especially when you are going to buy their flagship model. If you are going to purchase, say from Apple, and you have an old Apple iPhone that is in very good condition, you will be able to trade it in for a new model depending on its price.
- Retailer. On the other hand, if your goal is to buy a mobile phone but don’t want to burn through your savings, your best option is to look for a retailer instead. You will have to do a bit of research here for major retailers to ensure that what you are getting will be the best value for your money. It is possible to find the best buys for mobile phones on sites such as Argos and even Currys PC, but there are other options to consider as well. You can get a SIM-free device from these sites through an installment plan which makes it easier for you to acquire one.
What are the Pros and Cons of Buying from a Brand or Retailer?
Most users are used to buying phones from carriers (Photo credit: Bridge Solutions Group)
Now that you have an idea on the difference between a brand and retailer, how will you know which one is best suited for your needs especially when shopping for a mobile phone in the UK? For that you have to weigh the advantages that they have to offer.
Benefits of Buying from the Brand
According to a report by Google, around 61% of consumers prefer to buy from a brand rather from a retailer, especially when they have a physical shop. The same goes true when it comes to buying a smartphone. Most people prefer to purchase directly from the brand because of these benefits:
- Quality. Purchasing directly from the smartphone brand means that you are guaranteed of quality. This is because the units are shipped out directly from the factory in a sealed box before being distributed to the brand’s outlets.
- Variety. Another advantage to purchasing from the brand is that there is a variety in their selection. This gives you more room to review what they have on hand and see which ones fit your needs. If buying in store, you will be able to test out the product and discuss your options with the staff who can point you in the right direction based on your needs.
- Warranty. Mobile phone brands offer a year’s worth of warranty or coverage for their customers where you can have your phone repaired without paying any fee. They offer coverage for defective parts, broken display, and even being dropped in water just to name a few.
- Deals. Most brands offer great deals for their new models which is the best time to check if you can get big savings too. They can throw in freebies when you pre-order from them which is a good deal if you have the money for it.
- Service Centers. Another plus to purchasing your phone from the brand itself is that you can approach their service centers, wherever you may be, and have your smartphone checked in case it is malfunctioning.
Cons to Consider
- Pricey. Smartphones are usually priced high since they come off directly from the production line.
- Strict rules. Depending on the brand, they may be strict when it comes to returning a purchased unit or refunding one.
Benefits of Buying from Retailer
Retailers do enjoy a fair share of the smartphone market but what makes them the best place to buy mobile phones UK?
- Better discounts. It’s true that you will get plenty of good offers directly from the brand, but retailers will want to make a sale with you hence they will be sweetening their deals even further. When they go on sale, you can expect to see some impressive discounts up for grabs which may give you good value for your money.
- Offer for trade-ins are better. Another benefit that you will enjoy when you are buying from a retailer is that the trade-ins that they are offering are considerably better than that of the brand. This means that if you have a smartphone that is still in good working condition, you will be able to sell yours for a good price, or for a different model. Usually these shops will then refurbish your old phone before putting it up for sale.
- Convenience. Shopping directly from the brand is all well and good, but when you want to return it, the process may be more complicated than you expect. Fortunately, this won’t be a problem with retailers since it is easier to return a defective product or you changed your mind with your purchase. You can even get a refund faster through a retailer compared to the brand.
- Limited choices. Although retailers may have brand-new as well as refurbished models up for grabs, their selection tends to be limited.
- Different quality. Depending on where you will be purchasing your smartphone, some retailers may sell you a device that is of poor quality.
Where to Buy Your Smartphone?
Choose the seller with the best warranty (Photo credit: DNA India)
Now that you have an idea on the difference between the brand and retailer, you might be wondering, which one has the best buys for mobile phones? This will depend mostly on your preferences. Purchasing directly from the brand does offer plenty of options for you regardless of whether you will be shopping online or instore. However, although these brands are good sources of high quality smartphones, there may be instances when the device sent to you is defective which can take a while before a brand new one is sent to you.
On the other hand, retailers do offer a more convenient way of purchasing their products, starting with an installment plan which suits those who are on a budget. Although their options are limited, they do have an interesting array of both old and newer models that are sold at much cheaper prices. You will have to ask yourself what option you are most comfortable with to get your smartphone.
What about Refurbished?
Getting a brand new device from either directly from the manufacturer or through a retailer for your smartphone needs is all well and good, but have you ever considered buying refurbished? It’s true that retailers offer brand new phones at a much lower price, but refurbished ones are definitely cheaper, plus they are often like-new.
If you are after the best buys for mobile phones then you should also look at QwikFone’s roster of professionally refurbished smartphones. All of their products are sold in pristine condition meaning that they can be mistaken for brand-new. They do have an impressive roster of smartphones and tablets that are priced competitively.
It is understandable if you are unsure when it comes to refurbished phones, but those that are sold in this online store are guaranteed to be in excellent condition. These devices are carefully sought out and undergo a 40 point testing process to ensure that everything is in good working condition. An advantage to buying your smartphone here is that the parts are guaranteed to be of high quality since this company started out as a mobile repair shop and seller of grade A OEM parts for mobile phones. Sometimes, what they offer are far better than the brand new ones since there is a guarantee that the unit has been thoroughly tested which rarely happens inside the factory line.
There are several options to consider when it comes to shopping for a new phone for you in the UK. The best place to buy mobile phones UK will depend mostly on your preferences and your budget too. You can buy directly from the brand or get more savings when you choose to purchase one from a retailer instead. All that you have to do is weigh your options carefully.